Durable and eco-friendly premium raw materials
Skagerak believes that the ecological impact of the materials that go into making our furniture and decor items is just as important as how they function and look.
- Teak - This is a hard and highly durable wood that is weather-resistant, which makes it a perfect choice for outdoor furniture. Skagerak’s teak is responsibly sourced from FSC-certified forests.
- Oak - This is a hardwearing wood is sturdy and resists bacterial growth, which is important when furniture is exposed to the elements.
- Ash - A light, but strong wood, ash makes a great option for shelves.
- Sapelli - This sturdy, high-density wood is ideal for outdoor painted designs that need to hold their color season after season.
- Western Red Cedar - Western Red Cedar is resistant to a variety of natural forces that lead to accelerated decay and decomposition. It also patinates as it ages, making this wood look more rustic and attractive over time.
- Stainless Steel – This metal alloy is extremely strong and weather-resistant, but still very easy to maintain. Its sleek appearance complements modern and traditional decor styles alike, making stainless steel an attractive option for outdoor furniture.
- Powder Coated Steel - Steel that has a powder coating is protected from corrosion and has a smooth look and feel. You can leave this furniture outside throughout the year, but it’s advised to store these items indoors during the winter to extend the product lifetime.
- Galvanized Steel Plate - Galvanized steel is safeguarded against corrosion by a layer of zinc, which makes it a great choice for furniture that must endure harsh weather. It’s low maintenance and has a long life expectancy, so you won’t need to replace furniture made from it often.
Fabrics and Fibers
- Barriere Fabric - Many of Skagerak cushion covers are made from Oeko-Tex certified textiles (ensures safety and sustainable production) from Barriere. This fabric repels water and dirt and resists UV fading, which makes it an ideal textile for outdoor use.
- SunTexture - This textile is perfect for outdoor use, as it is both highly resistant to UV rays and repellent to water.
- FiberLoom - This highly UV resistant and water repellent fibrous material is constructed from polyester and covered with plastic, making it extremely strong.
- Alpaca and Merino Wool – This type of wool is light weight, very soft and warm with a lovely gloss finish. It breathes better than any other natural fiber, allowing it to effectively manage moisture.
- HPL or Compact Laminate - This laminate is made from paper and resin that have been highly compressed and heated to form a hard, durable plate.
- ASA plastic - This type of plastic requires minimal care and is highly resistant to damaged caused by severe weather conditions.
- Fibre-Reinforced Concrete - This concrete mix is extraordinarily strong and does a much better job of withstanding frost and water than regular concrete. Its strength also allows it to be employed in even thin applications.
- Glass - Our glass is 100% recyclable and heat strengthened for increased resistance to quick and drastic changes in temperature.
- Terracotta – This timeless earthenware is formed from low-fired clay and was a pottery technique favored by the ancient Greeks. Skagerak’s terracotta is carefully hand-thrown by Portuguese artisans to give each piece a one-of-a-kind look.