Umbrosa Memorial Day Sale!
Get 15% off Versa UX Cantilever Umbrellas in Architecture or Full Black.
Offer valid 5/10 thru 5/26. Excludes trade accounts and other discounts.
Outdoor shades help block the sun
If you spend time outdoors, you know how important it is to have some shade to escape the heat, glare and UV rays of the sun. Market umbrellas are great for protecting small spaces or for going through umbrella tables but they are limited in the amount of coverage they provide and their adaptability to changing conditions or personal preferences.
Offset umbrellas for outdoor lounge & dining settings
Cantilever umbrellas are large patio umbrellas with their support pole on the side of the canopy. The overhanging configuration enables side post deck umbrellas to shade spacious areas without a pole obstructing the view or traffic lanes. This makes them ideal for al fresco dining and lounging spaces where you want to freely and easily interact with friends and family without distraction. Offset umbrella canopies can be adjusted to tilt in one or more directions and rotate up to 360° - enabling you to customize the shade position throughout the day or to cover different areas of your patio.
Hospitality-grade cantilever patio umbrellas
Due to their size, side pole umbrellas require more substantial designs than their center post counterparts. Typically, these metal umbrellas are made from aluminum or steel and have reinforced connection points. They also demand heavier umbrella bases or more industrial mounting options. Decor Outdoor sells durable offset umbrellas that can be used in both residential and commercial locations. Most of our shades have solution-dyed acrylic canopies from premium brands like Sunbrella®. This high-performance textile repels water and resists fading and harmful ultraviolet radiation.
Key features to compare - Sidepost umbrellas
- Lift Mechanism - Large patio umbrellas have heavy canopies, so it makes a difference if there's a lever, crank, handle or dial
- Rotation - Side pole umbrellas that can rotate 360° can cover multiple areas at different times of the day
- Tilt - Some cantilever shades can tilt forward and back, side to side or both to adjust to the sun's position
- Wind Resistance - Check the Beaufort rating to determine how much wind an umbrella can handle safely
- Collapsibility - Canopies close and fold in a variety of ways and can be unsightly or hard to store
- Mobility - Freestanding bases and permanent mounts with quick release pole sleeves make it easier to relocate offset umbrellas
- Ultimate Patio Umbrella Buying Guide
- Outdoor Furniture Materials Guide
- Patio Furniture Cleaning & Care Guide
- What is UPF?
Frequently Asked Questions - Cantilever Umbrellas
How heavy should a cantilever umbrella base be?
Most cantilever umbrella manufacturers recommend 30-40 pounds per canopy foot (even more for windy settings). So, an offset umbrella with a 10 foot diameter canopy should have a base that is at least 300-400 pounds.
How much space do cantilever umbrellas need?
Many cantilever umbrellas can rotate up to 360°. So, if you want to shade multiple areas, you need to double the horizontal clearance space based on the canopy diameter and additional arm length to the side pole. Also, offset umbrellas may be able to tilt the canopy almost 90° so you need a lot more vertical space to accommodate all angles.