Luxurious and comfortable patio lounge furniture
Roll into the year with an unmistakable touch of style and comfort gracing your outdoor space. Combining chic aesthetics and world-class relaxation, outdoor lounge furniture is transforming backyards into serene havens, perfect for your morning coffee or late-night stargazing. In a fast-paced world, claim a slice of tranquility with head-turning pieces that make every outdoor moment worthwhile. Accordingly, you should not rush to shop for your perfect outdoor oasis but take your time and plan carefully.
Decor Outdoor carries some of the most stylish and relaxing options to reign in this new age of patio luxury. Our outdoor lounge furniture is designed by some of the top-rated premium brands in the industry. From outdoor couches and loveseats to chaise lounges and Adirondack chairs, you can find a wide range of seating capacities and designs. We feature an assortment of lounging collections from internationally renowned manufacturers like Mamagreen, Sifas, Cane-line and Skargaarden. Their pieces embody a variety of modern and classic styles, materials and color palettes to suit the lounging needs of your hardwood deck, terrace or poolside area.
Take a holistic view of your outdoor setting, lounging occasions and preferred style
When it comes to transforming your patio into a chic and comfy outdoor retreat, it's important to consider a number of factors that impact the cohesiveness and flow of the entire space.
Assess the physical characteristics of the environment
Evaluate the available floor space in your backyard or garden, on your patio or balcony. Measure the dimensions carefully to ensure that you select furniture that fits comfortably without overwhelming the area. Oversized pieces may make a small space feel cramped, while undersized furniture might get lost in a spacious setting. Strike a balance between functionality and aesthetics while minding the traffic flow through the area.
Be sure to note the shape of the usable living space. Wraparound decks and tiered patios often adapt to the natural topography and architectural lines of the home. While creating smooth and seamless transitions from inside to out in nature, they may form nooks, curved areas or sharply angled corners.
Additionally, check the vertical clearance throughout your outdoor space. Overhanging eaves or tree branches may provide welcome shade at different times of the day but you may require a clear area for a freestanding patio heater during cooler months or a large outdoor umbrella in the heat of Summer.
Identify your lounge requirements
After getting a "lay of the land," the next consideration when selecting outdoor lounge furniture is to determine the purpose of your space and the number of people you need to accommodate. Are you looking for a cozy corner where you can unwind with a book? Perhaps an intimate spot for enjoying a light meal and drink with someone special? Or do you envision a larger outdoor seating area for entertaining many guests and family members? Understanding how you plan to use the space will help you determine the size and configuration of furniture that will best accommodate your lounging needs.
Depending on the scale of your outside space and expected usage, you might also want to think about the versatility of potential options. Reclining backrests, modular designs and built-in storage compartments enable you to optimize the floorspace, while giving you multi-functional capabilities - allowing you do everything you want without having to add more pieces.
Lounge seating types to consider
Outdoor lounge seats play a significant role in creating a comfortable and inviting atmosphere on your patio. But there are so many options available in the market that selecting the perfect outdoor lounge furniture for sitting can be overwhelming. Each seating option offers unique features and benefits.
- Lounge Chairs - These outdoor seats typically feature broad proportions, ample cushions or form-fitting slings, armrests and ergonomic or adjustable or reclined designs. Some even have a rocking form. Perfect for lounging on a deck or enjoying the sunshine, outdoor lounge chairs provide ultimate relaxation.
- Ottomans - Also called footstools or occasionally poufs, outdoor ottomans are dual-purpose pieces of furniture. They can be used to elevate your feet when placed next to a sofa or convenient portable seating when you need it to accommodate more guests.
- Sofas & Loveseats - These couches are designed for relaxation and socializing with multiple people. Outdoor sofas typically come in various sizes with a seating capacity ranging from two to four individuals. They allow you to create a wide comfortable seating area in larger settings. Loveseats offer a more intimate seating arrangement for smaller spaces or cozy corners. Most have plush u[holstered seats and backs, although some may use fabric slings to promote cooling airflow. They also include arms on the ends and tend to be low to the ground.
- Chaise Lounges - Chaise lounge chairs bring a touch of luxury to your outdoor space. With their extended length and ergonomic construction, they allow you to stretch out fully while enjoying the fresh air. Some chaise lounges even come with adjustable sections for reading or sunbathing, or can add small parasols for individual shade.
- Sectionals - Looking to make an epic impression on your patio or deck? Outdoor sectional sofas can help you create a memorable lounge experience if you have the space. These modular seats vary in width and backrest design so you can configure them in multiple ways to adapt to your setting. U or L-shaped set-ups are very popular and there are even curved versions that enable you to make nearly circular lounge pits. Modern sectional sofas may have handy built-in side tables.
- Sunloungers - Want to bask in the sun and work on your tan? Or perhaps you'd just like to laze in its warmth after a quick dip in the swimming pool? Sunloungers allow you to lay back and relax in a reclined position. Most have adjustable back rests so you can be more upright to read or talk, or horizontal to catch a few zees. They are typically designed or are made with materials that drain water to keep the wetness off you. Many sun loungers come with wheels so you can easily maneuver them around your deck or pool or store them when the weather turns cold.
- Daybeds - For the ultimate in outdoor comfort, daybeds offer a luxurious retreat alongside a swimming pool or in a serene spot in your yard. These oversized pieces often come with canopy options and curtains to provide privacy and shade on hot summer days.
- Hammocks, Hanging Patio Chairs & Benches - If you're looking for a more laid-back vibe, hammocks or hanging chairs can create a serene ambiance. Whether hung between trees, attached to a stand or secured to a porch ceiling, these swing-like seats offer a unique way to relax outdoors.
Combine these pieces in different combinations to accommodate your outdoor space and meet your lounge requirements. For example, if you frequently host gatherings with friends and family, opting for a spacious sectional sofa around a low glass top coffee table with an ottoman or additional armchair would be wise. On the other hand, if you prefer smaller, intimate settings, a couple of cozy armchairs or loveseat might suffice. Poolside areas scream for sunloungers with side tables and shade umbrellas, or maybe a luxurious daybed accompanied by a stylish chaise lounge chair and a cantilever umbrella.
Comfort is king when it comes to lounging outdoors
Comfort should be at the forefront of your mind when choosing outdoor lounge furniture. After all, what good is beautiful furniture if it's not enjoyable to sit on? Look for cushions or seats with adequate padding and support that allow you to relax for extended periods. For instance, imagine sinking into a plush cushioned sofa or reclining on a comfortable chaise lounge with a refreshing drink in hand while enjoying the warm summer breeze. That's the level of comfort you want to prioritize in your selection. If you're planning to bounce between swimming and lounging, or have frequent rainfall, you should look for upholstery or sling seating that drains quickly so you can comfortably sit back without dampness against your skin.
Remember to infuse your own al fresco lounging style
Style and design are also vital elements to consider when evaluating patio lounge furnishings. Outdoor lounges come in various styles, ranging from contemporary to traditional or coastal to rustic. Aligning the style of your lounge furniture with the overall aesthetic of your outdoor space creates a cohesive and visually pleasing environment. There are big differences outfitting a seaside beach house in the Hamptons versus a mid-century modern ranch in the suburbs or a commercial rooftop deck in the city.
When it comes to outdoor lounge furniture, variety is the name of the game. The market is brimming with an impressive range of options to suit every taste and aesthetic preference that will perfectly complement your patio or outdoor space. Here are a few of the more popular aesthetics:
- Contemporary - This style characterized by sleek lines, minimalist shapes and a focus on functionality. Contemporary outdoor lounges often feature clean and simple silhouettes with neutral color palettes, making them versatile choices that can seamlessly blend into any modern outdoor setting.
- Traditional - Traditional outdoor lounge furniture often showcases intricate detailing, ornate patterns and elegant curves. These pieces exude a timeless charm and add a touch of sophistication to your patio or garden.
- Scandinavian - If you prefer a more streamlined and modern approach, Swedish or Danish-inspired outdoor lounge furniture might be right up your alley. These designs prioritize simplicity, minimalism and functionality. Think clean lines, light wood tones and understated elegance. Scandinavian-style lounges offer a sense of calm and tranquility while still being visually appealing.
- Eclectic - A mixed aesthetic that combines various elements for a unique and personalized look. Sometimes thought of as bohemian-inspired, these designs are characterized by vibrant colors, mix-and-match patterns and an effortless blend of different materials. Bohemian-style lounge pieces create a laid-back and whimsical atmosphere that can instantly transform any outdoor space into a boho oasis.
Whether you lean towards rustic charm or prefer the sleekness of contemporary design, finding the perfect outdoor lounge style boils down to personal preferences. Take time to explore different styles and designs and envision how they would fit within the overall aesthetic of your outdoor space. By striking a balance between comfort and visual appeal, you can create a patio or garden that becomes an extension of your personality and lifestyle.
Choose long-lasting, weatherproof lounge furniture suitable for your climate
Another important factor to consider is durability. Outdoor lounge furniture is exposed to changing weather conditions each season, including rain, moisture, sun, temperature fluctuations, wind and wear and tear. Opt for materials that are known for their longevity and ability to withstand outdoor elements. Go the extra mile and ensure that patio lounge furniture has weather-resistant finishes and fabrics to minimize maintenance and prolong its lifespan.
Leading weather-resistant outdoor patio furniture materials
Here are some leading weather-resistant outdoor furniture materials:
- Powder-Coated Aluminum - This long-lasting metal is a great choice for frames as it's strong and lightweight. A powder-coating finish not only helps protect aluminum from corrosion but allows you to add stylish color to coordinate with your outdoor palette.
- Stainless Steel - Inox steel is a high-end option for patio seating framework that is available with varying levels of chromium and nickel, which improve its rust and weather resistance. Extremely sturdy 314 stainless steel can be used in most outdoor settings, while marine-grade 316 stainless steel is ideal for coastal environments with salt air. It can be powder-coated, brushed or given a polished finish for a sleek look that is a best seller in the yachting community.
- Teak - Despite its higher cost, the most popular wood choice for outdoor furniture is teakwood, due to its strength, resistance to rot and insects and its longevity. Naturally oil-rich, teak can last up to fifty years with minimal maintenance. It can be periodically oiled to retain its original honey-brown woodgrain appearance or left untreated to patina to a chic silvery grey over time.
- Hardwoods - Other hardwoods like Shorea or Ipeare stronger and heavier than teak. They also have a high oil content that protects them against insects and rotting. They offer similar durability and beauty as teak but at a more affordable price point
- Synthetic Wicker - A durable and low-maintenance option that can withstand harsh weather conditions. Synthetic resin wicker, unlike natural rattan or other weaves, does not rot and is resistant to fading and cracking in the sun, making it an ideal choice for outdoor lounges. Woven synthetic plastic fibers come in natural looking tan and beige, classic white, as well as bold colors like blue and red.
- Solution-Dyed Acrylic & Polyester - Synthetic textiles, like wicker, are much more durable than their natural counterparts. Premium outdoor brands like Sunbrella® and Outdura® use solution-dyed acrylic or polyester fibers for their back and seat cushion covers and umbrella canopies. The soft fabric is colorfast, water-resistant, strong and easy to clean.
- Quick-Dry Foam - Even the most protected outdoor lounge seating is bound to get wet at some point. Despite the water-resistance of cushion covers, water will be absorbed by the filling. However, quick-drying foam inserts like those produced by Urecel® are designed for easy and fast drainage to keep your upholstery and pillows dry. This sort of cushion foam also helps to minimize the chance of mold and mildew build-up.
- Batyline & Textilene - Many sunloungers and other poolside seats use slings instead of cushions, because the mesh-like fabric design provides airflow and dries quickly. Though sheer and light to the touch, these long-lasting high-performance textiles from Serge Ferrari® and Twitchell® have tensile strength, are fade-resistant and conform to the contours of each individual.
It's important to note that each material has its own unique characteristics when it comes to aesthetics, durability, maintenance requirements and cost. For example, while teak is highly durable and boasts a rich golden color that ages beautifully over time, it may require occasional resealing or oiling to maintain its appearance.
On the other hand, synthetic wicker or rattan requires very little upkeep apart from regular cleaning with a mild soap and water solution. You'll appreciate this time savings when the weather is warm and you'd rather enjoy your lounge set than work on it. Resin wicker offers a wide range of styles and colors, making it easy to find a synthetic wicker outdoor lounge that matches your desired aesthetic.
In addition to considering weather resistance, it's also worth factoring in cleaning and care requirements, eco-friendliness and cost when choosing the outdoor lounge furniture materials that suit your needs.
Investing in high-quality lounge furniture saves money in the long run
Decor Outdoor carries only luxury brands of patio furniture. We firmly believe that the design and durability of their collections are worth the investment. Other manufacturers may have products that cost less in the short run but they are usually constructed using inferior materials, finishes and designs that falter after only a season or two, forcing you to replace or repair them far too frequently. Our outdoor furniture partners have internationally renowned designers, use eco-friendly manufacturing processes and premium materials. Consequently, their lounge furnishings last a long time and have industry-leading warranties. The adage "you get what you pay for" is certainly true and paying for high-end patio lounge sets now will pay dividends (and many compliments) for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions - Patio Lounge Furniture
What are some tips for arranging outdoor lounge furniture?
When it comes to arranging outdoor lounge furniture, there are a few key tips to keep in mind. First and foremost, consider the layout of your outdoor space and how you plan to use it. If you're looking to create a cozy conversation area, arrange the furniture in a circular or semi-circular formation to encourage face-to-face interaction. For larger spaces, consider creating separate zones for dining, lounging and entertaining by using rugs or different types of furniture. Include a coffee table or side table for setting drinks, food and small items. Additionally, take into account the natural elements such as sunlight and wind direction when positioning your furniture. Lastly, don't forget about comfort - make sure to provide ample seating options with cushions and pillows for a relaxing outdoor experience.
What accessories can enhance outdoor lounge furniture?
When it comes to accenting outdoor lounge furniture, there are a variety of accessories that can elevate the comfort and style of your outdoor space. One popular accessory is a weather-resistant outdoor rug, which not only adds a touch of warmth and coziness but also helps define the seating area. Another great addition is outdoor throw pillows and cushions, which provide extra comfort and can be easily swapped out to refresh the look of your furniture. To create a relaxing ambiance, consider adding string lights or lanterns for soft, atmospheric lighting. Lastly, don't forget about practical accessories like side tables or ottomans, which offer convenient surfaces for drinks, snacks, or even as additional seating when needed.
How should you store outdoor lounge furniture during winter?
Storing outdoor lounge furniture during winter is crucial to prolong its lifespan and maintain its pristine condition. To effectively store your furniture, start by thoroughly cleaning each piece to remove any dirt or debris. Next, consider investing in weatherproof covers specifically designed for outdoor furniture, ensuring they are made from durable materials that can withstand harsh winter conditions. It is also advisable to disassemble any removable parts, such as cushions or umbrellas, and store them in a dry and temperature-controlled area. For larger furniture items like sofas or loungers, it is recommended to stack them neatly in a covered storage shed or garage. Lastly, placing moisture-absorbing packets or desiccants around the stored furniture can help prevent mold or mildew growth.